Thursday, October 21, 2010

Seth's 11th B-day:)

Yes, Seth turned 11!! I can't believe my baby is coming up on his teen years. Geez....this is just one of the many things that stinks about (me) getting older! Seth did enjoy his day and he received some new baseball gear for the next season, cashola, movies, and video games (of course;). The boys love to push my buttons when I take pictures. It took forever to get one of them looking at the camera and smiling altogether. They get it honestly and I'll just let you figure out where:) We had some great laughs anyways.

Seth also found out this week that his teachers are recommending him for the gifted program at our school. It's called Project Excel. He will have to take a series of tests, but the teachers have been observing him and don't want to wait until January (the next testing period) to assess him. He's so excited about it! He has exceeded my expectations in adjusting to his new school environment.

Soapbox time:)....Homeschoolers get so stereotyped in our country as many think they don't receive the social interaction they need. I strongly disagree and believe it totally depends on the parents and how they choose to homeschool. I tell people this...."Just because a child is homeschooled doesn't mean they will struggle or not adapt well in social settings, and likewise, just because a child attends a school doesn't mean they'll adjust and succeed socially." There are many students at school who struggle socially, so that is evident that school isn't a "fix all" to the success of children adjusting socially. I do think it helps students, but it isn't the only component. I suppose that's one thing about stereotyping groups that people need to remember... get the facts!! Many people fall prey to believing what they hear and not researching, etc. I have learned the hard way this is detrimental.

Okay, time to get off my soapbox:)

 
 
 
 

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jennifer and Bobby said...

Wow, that is a great achievement and something to be proud of,Seth. And Happy Belated Birthday!

All of your boys are so accomplished and smart.

Jen said...

Wow Seth is getting tall!! and we all know he's a good looking guy!!! looks like he had a great day! :-)
the boys had a few pics on facebook and i stole them for my rotating wall paper for my lap top! sure do miss you all!!

Jessica said...

Happy Belated Birthday Seth. Hard to believe how fast they are all growing up. Hope you all had a great day, looks like the boys did:)

paw paw said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SETH, JUST TO MAKE IT OFFICIAL! I SENT YOU A CARD AND A GIFT, I HOPE YOU GOT IT!